When you make goals, plans, or dreams what happens to them? Do you pursue them or do you let them fade away? One way to keep those thoughts present is to create a vision board.
The New Year brings a magical feeling with it. You have endless possibilities ahead of you. It’s a time when you allow yourself to make goals, plan, and dream of what can happen. The sky is the limit when the New Year comes around.
A vision board helps you to visualize your dreams. Vision boards are a collection of images and words that represent what you want for your future.
What is a Vision Board?
Vision boards are a type of tool that allows you to focus on your goals in life. These goals can come from different categories. Such as financial, personal, or professional.
Vision Boards can simplify the process by which we achieve our desired outcome. Because they provide an illustrative image or reminder every step along the way. Also, a vision board provides motivation when things get tough.
5 Steps to Creating a Vision Board
- Why Create a Vision Board?
- What You Should do Before You Get Started
- Ideas for What to Include in Your Vision Board
- Getting Your Vision Board Set Up
- How to Use a Monthly Vision Board
Why Create a Vision Board?
There are many reasons why you might want to create a vision board. Maybe you want to achieve a specific goal, like losing weight or saving money. Or maybe you want to feel more positive and optimistic about your life.
A vision board can help you focus on what you want. And it can be a great way to keep track of your goals.
Visualize Your Dreams
It is important to visualize your dreams. One of the best ways to achieve your dreams is by visualizing them. This will allow you to set goals for what you want and keep moving towards them.
Helps You to Focus
Choosing what you want on your board gives an idea of what goals in life you want to make a priority. This doesn’t mean other items aren’t important to you. But certain goals take the front seat in our minds at this moment.
Another advantage of a vision board is that it helps you to focus. By allowing you to see which areas to focus on first. You have a fantastic picture of your various life objectives. So you can schedule your time and build task lists to do them.
Great for Goal Setting
Everyone has goals they want to achieve. Think of what you want to achieve someday. Where you want to be. Who you want to be around you. These can give you an idea of what your goals are.
What You Should do Before You Get Started
These are a few things you should do to prepare before you start creating your board:
- Decide what type of goal or outcome you want to create for yourself with your vision board. Maybe it’s financial stability, getting out of debt, and staying on track with your budget.
- Think of the images and words you want on your vision board. These represent whatever it is you’re trying to do or visualize achieving.
4 Ideas for What to Include in Your Vision Board
Here are some ideas that you could include on your board:
- Business and work goals
- Personal Life goals
- Health goals
- List of Priorities
Business and work goals
This can be about your dream career, changing jobs, or getting a promotion. Also, these goals can relate more to your financial future.
- Dream career
- Getting a promotion at your current job
- Reaching a goal income level
- Visualizing your life after getting your dream career
- Choosing the career you want
Personal Life goals
The personal life vision board is all about you, what you want, and what personal goals you have in your life.
- Where you want to live
- Places you want to travel
- Your dream vacation
- What your lifestyle will be like
- Family goals and aspirations
You may have some health goals you might want to plan out on your vision board. This can include both your physical and emotional health. If you need some ideas here’s a post about healthy habits to improve your life.
Your physical health can begin with your physical appearance. Such as losing weight or toning your body. You may use images of yourself when you were at your ideal weight. Or you can use images of the body you visualize yourself having.
You can also include your emotional and mental health on the vision board. If you feel stressed or depressed, you can visualize what life would be like without it. You to express your feelings about how your depression or stress is affecting you.
List of Priorities
Instead of goals, you can use a vision board to show your top priorities in life. Like things that matter to you. Reasons you wake up in the morning. Or what motivates or inspires you.
Visualization is a powerful thing, not just to achieve something. But to have more gratitude for what is already in your life.
You can use your vision board as a gratitude visualization tool. By including images of what you appreciate.
Some examples of what you’re grateful for are:
- Your Home
- Your Job
Getting Your Vision Board Set Up
If you haven’t done it already make a list of what you want on your board. This helps a lot when it comes to finding the right images.
Choosing Your Poster Board
The first thing you’ll need is an actual board. This can be any type of flat surface you want. Most people choose a poster board because it’s larger. And you can keep it as-is or cut it down. Also, it provides a solid surface that won’t bend or roll up when you are working with it.
A poster board isn’t the only choice though. You can use any surface you choose. Also, you can make it digital and save it as your background on your phone, computer, or tablet.
Other Material and Design Elements
The last thing you will need is a way to attach your images to your surface. Many people will use glue sticks since putting paper on your surface doesn’t need much else. If you want to get creative you can use washi tape.
You might also need some other materials such as:
- Pens and other writing utensils
- Colored pencils or markers
- Decorative elements
Setting Up the Vision Board
- Layout your images before attaching them. Don’t glue anything down until you work out how you want the layout to be on your surface
- Use thin layers of glue. A glue stick is better than a bottle of glue. Since it goes on thin and even.
- Get backup images in case you need them. When adding one type of image, like one to represent your fitness journey, get a few images you can use. That way, you have others to add to the board if one of them gets ruined.
How a Monthly Vision Board Works with Your Goals
A monthly vision board is a great way to track your progress and keep yourself accountable.
Here’s how you can make one:
- On the first of every month, take some time to sit down and look at your board. What goals did you achieve in the past month? What goals did you not do yet?
- Are there specific tasks to get done on a regular basis? Such as going to the gym or making healthy meals at home? You can schedule them in your calendar for the next month.
The Last Thing You Need to Know about Creating a Vision Board
Are you looking for motivation? Need inspiration for new ideas? Or want to focus on the positive aspects of your life? A vision board can help. Remember that your board is personal. And should include things that resonate with you.
I hope this post has inspired you to make one yourself! What’s something you’re going to include on your vision board? Let me know in the comments below:)